When you hear you are pregnant with triplets, it’s normal to immediately fear the newborn stage. This makes sense, since even singleton newborns are not easy. Newborns require a lot of physical care, which is daunting when you only have 2 arms. I don’t think I looked past the newborn or baby stage when I was pregnant at all. I just simply couldn’t mentally get over that first year, and how we were going to manage physically or financially. I know this will sound terribly ungrateful and snobbish. Triplets are an amazing blessing. I know that so many people struggle with fertility, and complaining about three babies can be hurtful. I don’t want to play that down at all, and I don’t mean to offend anyone. But it’s also normal and fair to also be overwhelmed with the incredible blessing of triplets. In hindsight, I wanted so badly to learn about the first year, I forgot about all the years to come after the baby phase was over. So if you feel like me and need some encouragement, here are things you can look forward to.
- dance parties with 3 or more kids! We are a family of 7, so our dance parties are pretty awesome!
- multiple babies laughing at the same time
- picking out fun Halloween costumes that go together in threes. Three Little Pigs! Snap, Crackle, and Pop! Thing 1, Thing 2, and Thing 3!
- babies laughing with older siblings, if you have them
- extracurricular activities, like a music class at the library being a fun activity for many of your kids at the same time, not just one kid
- one baby making another baby laugh
- getting to cheer 3 kids at graduations or other special events
- three kids excited to see you at school/daycare/camp pickup- all at the same time
- group hugs
- no leftovers after a meal (I hate leftovers!)
That’s just the beginning. Any other fun things you’d add to the list??